Prue Theroux: The Cool Librarian

...Who can jump like a kangaroo?
Who can squawk like a cockatoo?...
Who? Who? Who?
Miss Prue that's who,
Miss Prue Theroux, the school librarian.

It may all sound trivial, absurd and at the same time, mundane, but upon reading the whole book, I think I got the message that it wanted to convey: That Librarians, although they do not possess super powers, are extra cool because they tend to know almost everything [well, at least, their collection] and know the appropriate users of these knowledge. And that's Miss Prue, your cool school librarian.


The only drawback, I think, is how the book depicted Miss Prue. In spite the know-it-all attitude as evidently seen in this line:

When you don't know what to do,
When you haven't got a clue,
Go and talk to Miss Theroux.

Sadly, Miss Prue still remained as an old-fashioned librarian. She's still an old maiden [I assume] wearing glasses covered in a bunch of overcoats. I guess it would have been more cool if she was wearing a more modern attire like a corporate-looking attire or she could have been depicted as a hot chick or a hot dude [which I would have preferred more].

Barbie as a sexy librarian
I would have preferred Conan the Librarian, though
Yet all in all, I'd say that the book is a good read because it shows what we, librarians do. Although it deals mostly on the "Reference" aspect of a librarian's job, it somehow highlights our role in schools, especially as advocates for the love of reading. After all, it is what we do that defines us. Right?

**Prue Theroux: the cool librarian is written by Gillian Rubinstein and illustrated by David Mackintosh

/dmarco





1 Response to "Prue Theroux: The Cool Librarian"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    July 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM

    Actually, I don't agree on the "old maiden" point. A business attire invokes the feeling of a sterile gray office for me, while this depiction is more cosy - just like the librarians I remember. Overcoats rule! Even though it's usually a perfect temperature in the library...
    Of course, I've never seen a male librarian, so can't say anything about Conan the Librarian part :)

Post a Comment

/dmarco