what my Inbox contains ...

Even before graduating as an undergrad student, I decided to join a professional group of librarians. And that time, the easiest way [I guess] to gain access was to join its mailing group. So, without hesitation and second thought, I sent a request to the then moderator and gave him my profile [which was needed to confirm one's eligibility to be part of the group].


As the young student I was, who was excited to get out of school and be exposed to the "real" world, my view of a "professional" mailing group was nearly ideal: every correspondence is formally-written, queries and questions are of significance and essential to one's professional growth, no text colors that are eye-damaging and even text size and font that are comical, etc. But then, I was proved wrong. My idea of a professional group was devastated, I was proved otherwise: spam mails everywhere, NOT error-free sentences, some are even asking questions which I think, we, as Information Professionals can answer on our own thru proper research.  I can also recall during the advent of those Jejemons, some would even cross-post messages that are of no relevance to the profession. Worse, some even wrote their sentences using Jejemon language.

The Jejebhet, Jejemon's Alphabet
Up until now, I remain to be a spectator, a mute witness that once channeled these concerns to the organization's incumbent president, personally. And guess what he told me? "It's just like PDI [Philippine Daily Inquirer -- the online version] where people publish their comments, we cannot control what they want to say." 

And I felt disappointed.


/dmarco





2 Response to "what my Inbox contains ..."

  1. Anonymous Says:
    December 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM

    that's entertainment mah frend.

  2. dmarco says:
    December 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM

    yeah, i suppose. it adds spices to life! haha!

Post a Comment

/dmarco